1 GRAM Pinewood Wheels
Derby Dust machined a new line of light weight racing 1 GRAM Pinewood Wheels. These derby wheels will break records for those rules that that are a little relaxed on what can be done to wheels Please take note, these wheels are not meant for rough handling.
Characteristics of 1 gram wheels:
- The walls of the wheel will be thin.
- The wheel flexes when squeezed.
- Wheel has lettering removed on inside of wheel
- Outer diameter is roughly 1.174″ish. Surface takes on the temperance of a sanded finish.
- Graphite or oil lube
- Must measure with go / no go gauge. Calipers will yield bias measurements.
- Expert Tip To get the most out of these wheels — Seriously polish the bores.
Weight reduced wheels require tooling to install and remove the axles. Please plan according. This wheel can easily be pinched, and crack if care is not taken. Take note, never pull axles out by grabbing wheel. These wheels can be removed with our new 3d printed wheel tools or axle extraction / tuning pliers
- With the reduction in weight, 1 gram wheel spin times will decrease. These wheels will not free spin for 20+ seconds as some tips suggest should a measurement of speed.
Important Wheel Note
The lathing operation removes a small amount of tread surface. The serrated edge is intact. The tread reduction is barely visible to the eye, but is measurable with a caliper. If your race restricts the use of lathed wheels, do not purchase these wheels.
- The weight of the 1 gram wheel is reduced by removing all excess plastic from the underside of the wheel tread and the inside wheel face.
- Reduced weight wheels lower the needed moment of inertia, thus allowing quicker starts and requiring less energy to rotate down the track. A set of 1 gram wheels truly gives you a SUPER advantage over any other wheel of heavier weight.
- BECAUSE OF THE EXTENSIVE MILLING OF THIS WHEEL, YOU MUST USE EXTRACTION PLIERS TO REMOVE THE WHEEL AFTER INSTALLATION. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO REMOVE WITH ANY OTHER METHOD YOU ARE GOING TO BREAK OR WARP YOUR WHEEL. GUARANTEED.