Derby Worx designed pinewood derby wheel mandrel to help scouts remove manufacturing flaws with their pinewood derby wheels. Scouts use the wheel mandrel for sanding or machining to remove weight. The mandrel is a versatile tool that works with many different brands of wheels.
The precision machined Pro Wheel Mandrel features a knurled knob for tool-less use, a stepped shaft face for reverse mounting of B.S.A. wheels and a stepped body for use in all low speed tools.
This precision-machined tool will accurately mount B.S.A. Pine-Car & Awana Pinewood Derby Car wheel in the chuck of a drill or lathe. Benefits include:
- Accurately machined shaft allows for precision use in any drill chuck or Dremel-type tool.
- Step-down on shaft allows BSA wheels to be mounted with the ‘spokes’ facing the drill chuck, simplifying work on the inside edge of the tread.
- Knurled thumb screw eliminates the need to use a screwdriver to mount a wheel (a clumsy operation with the standard mandrel).
- Beveled thumb screw ensures that the wheel mounts accurately on the mandrel.
- The retaining screw may be replaced if lost or bent.
- Derby Dust HIGH SUGGESTS NEVER use this mandrel in a dremel style tool. RPMS will simply ruin wheels. Even is ran on lower RPM.
The Pro-Mandrel is used to hold wheels in a drill or a lathe. User may polish or machine the wheels. When mounting the Pro-Mandrel in a standard drill, drill press, or lathe, fasten the chuck around the wide portion of the shaft. The face of the Pro-Mandrel has a step-down to allow mounting BSA wheels with the spokes facing towards the mandrel. This simplifies polishing the inside edge of the wheel. The Pro-Mandrel screw has a beveled face to ensure that the wheel is centered on the mandrel screw.
For best results, wiggle the wheel slightly as the screw is tightened. The Pro-Mandrel screw is intended to be hand tightened. Tighten until the wheel is firmly in place,but do not over tighten as the wheel could be damaged. This is especially important for wheels made with a softer plastic, such as those supplied by Awana.
Racer’s Tip: Square the Wheel Hub first with the Pro Hub Tool For greater accuracy
Pinewood derby wheel mandrel Technical Data
The Pro Wheel Mandrel is designed with several benefits, which will help build better Pinewood Derby Cars
- The Pro Wheel Mandrel is designed with a centering cone made into the screw assembly, this allows for the best centering of wheels for any form of tread treatment the builder prefers. This provides a great work center for lathe cutting wheels or finish polishing after using the Pro Wheel Shaver.
- The Pro Wheel Mandrel has a step cut in the body of the tool for mounting B.S.A. wheels in reverse for treatment and polishing of the inner edge.
- The Pro Wheel Mandrel has an easy grip screw that dose not require tools. This makes it easy for everyone to use and fast.