Pinewood Derby Wheel Polish Kit
This is an expert build pinewood derby secret.
Everyone polishes axles. Hardly anyone polishes wheels. When .001 matters, this trick makes our cars at least .01″ faster every time!
Want to know why that dad always finishes first? You can bet this is one of those tricks he does not share.
Nearly every once skips this step. 45 minutes of work = faster speeds as much as 0.010-0.015 seconds. So simple you cubber can do it.
Works with oil or dry lube. If you are using oil, skip the dry-lube prep step.
Over the 2013 summer, we did some more testing and found a way to make them a little faster. We added a pre-polish to our previous 2 step process.
You can hear and see the difference. Increases speed, decreases overall time on my track around .01-.015 seconds on 30.75 feet measuring distance. Definitely a major difference.
Included in Pinewood Derby Wheel Polish Kit
- 20x micro bore no scratch buffing spears
- 8x no scratch cotton swabs
- 1x Step 1 Polishing compound
- 1x Step 2 Polishing Compound
- 1x Inner hub Dry Lube treatment
Instructions for the Application of Wheel Polish
- Takes about 45 minutes to complete a wheel set.
- Enough swabs to service 1 car.
- Drill required for application
Process for the Application Pinewood Derby Wheel Polish
- Wheels are cleaned, then polishing step 1 compound is buffed in with high speed drill and micro bore polishing spears.
- Once polish is buffed, allow buffing compound to dry, then buff clean with micro bore spear.
- Repeat above step for applying second step. Again allowing polishing compound to dry after application and buffing clean.
- Once dry, the wheel goes through a final buffing process that makes the wheel’s bore pop to a nice and shiny surface.
- Wheels have spun for approx 15 seconds without any lube applied.
The polish is that good! And then I realized there was a missing step.
I spent the summer doing some research and designed a dry lube blend used to coat the surface areas of wheel and axle rub.
This lube is especially designed so that will permanently embed in the surface of the plastic wheel.
It CAN”T be blown off with compressed air once buffed in! We don’t sell gimmicks.
I know this process yields results.
Instructions provided. Check out the YouTube how-to video on polishing Pinewood Derby Wheels