Pinewood Derby Tungsten Canopy
The 3.5 oz Tungsten Canopy not only weighs the car but also helps you to build a super cool and futuristic looking Pinewood Derby racer. The canopy has a domed top and the bottom has a mounting stud that is 3/8 inch in diameter and ¼ inch long. The Tungsten Canopy can be easily used for derby car weighting if the weight of the car body, wheels, and axles is less than 1.5 ounces
- Polished Pinewood Derby Tungsten Canopy for Cars
- EASY to install- Just drill 3/8″ hole, glue and insert
- 3.5oz total average weight
- Tungsten is a metal element, just like lead.
- It is the heaviest of the weight ballast materials.
- NON TOXIC, child-safe for handling
Tungsten weights are said to be the best weight for a Pinewood Derby car because you can put more weight in the same footprint. If you can put more weight towards the rear, then you will have more potential energy. Pinewood Derby Tungsten Canopy are also considered “cargo” weights by some builders.
- It is the preferred choice of champion racers.
- 1.7x greater in density than lead
- 2.8x greater than Zinc
This concentration of density makes it easier to concentrate your weights. Derby Dust weights feature the highest quality sintered tungsten ranging in the 18.1 gram per cc range and polished for excellent fit and finish, allowing the builder the ability to put the most weight in the smallest area for the greatest potential energy.
- You will not be able to “drill” tungsten lighter. Please be very aware how much weight you need when ordering.
Pinewood Derby Tungsten Canopy are a cool way to add weight to the top of the car. Adjusting COG might be a tad bit more difficult than the tungsten cube route. We also feel that tungsten cubes offer a faster car in general. If you have a choice, we suggest the tungsten cubes simply because they are more versatile and you are able to remove one cube at a time if you are over weight.