Fastest Pinewood Derby Speed Wheels – Derby Worx Pro Ultra-Lites
Fastest Pinewood Derby Speed Wheels that are a lighter than stock BSA wheels are design for decreasing rotational inertia, thus allowing quicker starts and overall times. Derby Worx® Pro Ultra-Lites can be run as is, or polished with Novus / plastic polish to remove micro scratches. This set of Fastest Pinewood Derby Speed Wheels usually yield an increase of speed by reducing on average 0.03-0.04 seconds in time with properly tuned car. Listening to a set of these wheels run, you can tell they are in a league of their own! Learn all about speed wheels here.
When designing your car, there are several key issues to consider that includes the efficiency of all the parts put together. Using these known tricks will result in a fast pinewood derby car that looks and performs better. There are two most noteworthy factors. A car with lighter speed wheels allow it go faster, however if the car is not aligned (tuned) then none of it really matters.
- CNC lathe produce round and smooth wheels that will roll much faster than standard wheels
- Weight reduction provides a faster start because of low start up inertia
- Beveled hub design reduces the surface are friction of rubbing and braking when the wheel hub contacts the car body
- These wheels allow for a greater top speed when compared to standard weight BSA wheels.
Pro Inertia-Lites Specifications
Derby Worx ® Ultra Lite
OD: > 1.170″ Bead/Tread Present.
AWW: 1 gram
Outer Hub: Concave head (allows reduced wheel gap)
Wheel Edge / Width: Reduced, Trued 0.0340″
Inner Wheel Hub: Shaped, Trued
Hub Bore: Reamed to Manufactures Spec’s
This wheel has had the outer diameter reduced. It will have bead/tread present. Inner bores have been reamed, and polished according to manufacturers specs. Mold Match only. Wheel edge and hub have been trued. BSA lettering removed on the inner part of the wheel. Inner portion of wheel has been milled to remove weight. Fastest Pinewood Derby Speed Wheels.
On a Builders NOTE…. You will need a set of pliers to pull the axles once installed. Because the Fastest Pinewood Derby Speed Wheels have been ligthend, you can no longer pull the axle out by the wheel. You will bend/warp out of round. Then the wheel will not roll correctly and you just wasted $$$. Please don’t let this be I told you so moment.
Stay Legal, know your Rules!
The rules of local events sometimes differ from those of BSA box rules. Due to this, it is necessary to know your rules before choosing our unique modifications for your PWD car. Each pack’s rules will be different. We ask before you make a purchase, please check your local rules. If you are unsure about the terminology, just email us, we will get you what you need.
The lathing operation removes a small amount of tread surface. The serrated edge is intact. The tread reduction is barely visible to the eye, but is measurable with a caliper. If your race restricts the use of lathed wheels, do not purchase these wheels.
- The weight of the wheel is reduced by removing all excess plastic from the underside of the wheel tread and the inside wheel face.
- NOTE: ALL BSA LETTERING IS REMOVED. BE SURE OF YOUR PACK RULES!
- BECAUSE OF THE EXTENSIVE MILLING OF THIS WHEEL, YOU MUST USE EXTRACTION PLIERS TO REMOVE THE WHEEL AFTER INSTALLATION. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO REMOVE WITH ANY OTHER METHOD YOU ARE GOING TO BREAK OR WARP YOUR WHEEL. GUARANTEED.