The Pro-Axle Press will improve the speed of your pinewood derby car by performing three critical procedures on nail type axles:
1. Axle Straightening – Ensures accurate wheel tracking by creating absolutely straight axles. Improved wheel tracking equals greater speed!
2. Axle Rounding – Ensures accurate wheel rotation by creating absolutely round axle shafts. Improved wheel rotation equals greater speed!
3. Head Squaring – Ensures proper wheel rotation by squaring the axle head to the axle shaft. Improved wheel rotation equals greater speed!
And an added bonus:
4. Raised Wheel and Alignment Adjustments – When it is necessary to purposely bend an axle (to raise a front wheel or make an alignment adjustment), the Pro-Axle Press serves as a handy clamping device for holding the axle while making the bend.
When using nail-type axles, the Pro-Axle Press and Pro-Body tool work together to make a well-aligned and smooth rolling car.
Note: The Pro-Axle Press was designed and tested for use on BSA and PineCar nail-type axles. It may also be suitable for nail axles from other kits. The press is not intended for use with rod-type (Awana) or screw-type (Royal Rangers) axles.
Most axles are NAILS!!! They are not straight and more than likely never will unless they are corrected, this is why we created the Pro Axle Press.
How To Use The Pro-axle Press
1. The Pro Axle Press allows the builder with only a hammer to both straighten the shaft of the axle and square the head of the axle to the center line of the shaft for an accurate axle.
2.The Pro Axle press allows for easier and correct alignment that will require minimal to no alignment adjustment. Most alignment adjustments are required due to inaccurate parts giving inaccurate results. Straight Axles = Straight Cars.
3.The Pro Axle Press Reduces Friction!!!! By creating a straight axle in an accurate hole on the body, the wheel will work in the most efficient manner. The fastest axle/wheel combination in a neutral position in which the wheel can FLOAT back and forth between the axle head and the body as is travels down the track. This combination creates the lowest possible friction by doing several things. The axle contact to hub is full width. This actually creates a low friction environment and evenly disperses the load over the entire axle/hub combo. Weight x Area = Force and Force is friction in the hub. A bent axle will only contact the hub in limited spots creating higher friction/smaller spots and not allow the wheel to float back and forth. This usually allows the wheel to stay against the body or the axle head creating even more friction as the car travels down the track. A straight axle balances the force and equalizes the friction in the hub plus it allows the wheel to float back and forth and not staying on the body or axle head further reducing friction. STRAIGHT AXLES = MORE SPEED!
4.The Pro Axle Press can be used to raise a wheel to create a 3-wheel car. 3 wheels down will almost always be fastest and the Pro Axle Press can be used to slightly bend an axle to raise a front wheel off of the track