Winning Pinewood Derby Car with Canopy
Winning Pinewood Derby CarWinning Pinewood Derby Car with Canopy bottom view
Ultra light Pinewood Derby body. These bodies start around 15.5 grams. Pockets and holes everywhere to adjust your Center of Gravity needs.
I got really bored last night and drew up a few canopy cars. Will get them cutout over the weekend. Some will be extended wheel base only. Some will be regular wheelbase. I’m not going to offer both styles for each type of car. Too many bodies! Too hard to test and get COG correct.
Winning Pinewood Derby Car
Winning Pinewood Derby Car (bottom view) with pockets
Winning Pinewood Derby Car – top view And thank you… Wayne…. Your review on the treadmill process inspired me to just mass produce your design.
There is a Video on Youtube that gives you 7 Winning Tips to Pinewood derby.
Our PWD bodies utilize the steps.
1. Center of Mass (Center of gravity) Location. This step is supposed to give you a 36% increase in speed. These canopy style bodies are super light and allow us to maximize weight placement where we want it. Our setup is for a 0.930″ COM in front of the rear axle. Then we place weight pockets on the remaining wood sections so that you can tweak what works for you.
2. Lightweight wheels.- Claim is 16% increase in speed, but I tend to think the increase is more like 36% and COG is 16%. I know if I can use a set of 1 gram wheels and tune a car, I will smoke nearly everything. I will beat any car that has factory wheels no matter if I am racing a block of wood. Seriously.
3. Aerodynamic.– 11% increase in speed. Majority of our bodies are streamlined. With Low weight placement. We also remove wood around the wheel’s outer edge to ensure that that part never touches the body.
4. Polished Nails. 10% increase in speed LOL we got that covered. CNC polished nails. Only one in industry that can state their axles are polished my a computer controlled machine.
5. Lift one wheel – 9% increase in speed. All bodies made by Derby Dust have the option of 3 wheel racing at no extra charge. We believe it is the only way to race.
6. Graphite / lube – Do we ever know this! Derby Dust dry lube is a pure graphite with proper flake size and moisture content that will give you a smooth friction-less surface when you follow our break-in process.
7. Other (long wheel Base, car shape, wheel gap, etc) 11% increase. I think this is a BS category. I can get a standard wheelbase to run just as fast or faster than a short wheel base. Car shape is important. Wheel gap is important based on the type of wheel hub. It will differ.
8. Derby Dust’s conclusion which was not even addressed…….. Fastest car is a tuned car. Regardless of any other option. Focus mainly on tuning or adjusting your axles. You want your car to go down the track as straight as it can without going side to side. Easiest way to do this is 3 wheels touching and make it ride along the center strip. Takes time. Not technical, Not complicated, just time. The correct tool to do this with is a set of axle pliers.
Low profile body with .930ish COG, 3k bent axles (3x 2.5, 1x 1.5) for center rail riding, lightest possible wheels that you can use, Wheel Polish kit to clean up the bores of the wheels, Derby Dust graphite.